Low Calorie Versions of Your Favorite Comfort Foods
- Inspiration & Wellness
Comfort food can come in all shapes and sizes, but it's usually designated by a high calories count and an abundance of carbohydrates. These hearty dishes are often fried, baked or broiled and they usually end up on a big dinner table surrounded by the whole family. If you're feeling a little homesick after the holidays, you might be tempted to break your resolution by indulging in some fatty comfort food. Thankfully, there are a few changes you can make to the recipes to lower their calorie counts.
This recipe for country-style fried chicken only contains about 200 calories per thigh, which is significantly lower than fried chicken you might find at a fast food restaurant.
- 1 1/2 pounds chicken drumsticks and thighs, skinless
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon sage, ground
- 1/8 teaspoon ginger, ground
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 4 teaspoons salt
- 1 cup flour
- 1 1/2 cups breadcrumbs
- 2 cups skim milk
- 4 eggs.
1. Heat your oven to 375 degrees.
2. To create the breading, combine all of the ingredients in a large mixing bowl. Stir until everything is well incorporated.
3. For the batter, beat the milk and eggs together in a medium bowl.
4. Dip a piece of chicken in the batter, coating all sides. Then gently roll the chicken in the breading to cover completely.
5. Place the coated chicken on a greased baking sheet. Repeat with all of the chicken, then place the baking sheet in the oven.
6. Bake for 45 minutes, or until browned.
Mac and Cheese
Is there anything more comforting than a side of gooey mac and cheese? These recipe only contain about 220 calories per 2/3 cup serving.
- 1 box macaroni
- 1 1/4 cup shredded low-fat cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup parmesan cheese, grated.
1. Heat your oven to 425 degrees.
2. Cook macaroni according to the directions on the box.
3. Drain the noodles, then pour them into a lightly greased 8-by-8-inch baking pan.
4. Spread the grated cheddar cheese on top, covering all of the noodles completely.
5. Sprinkle with parmesan cheese.
6. Bake the mac and cheese for 10 minutes, or until the parmesan is melted.